Where: House of Curry, JBR
How much: AED 250 for two people (approx.)
Recommended: Tandoori Crab, Saundhe Aloo, Green Curry, Mango Lassi
Traditional and complex food in a modern setting; if you’re in the mood for Indian food by the beach, House of Curry JBR The Beach is well worth a visit.
Here’s the complete House of Curry review:
The food echoes the ambience of the restaurant; traditional with a contemporary twist.
The feast began with a range of piping hot appetizers.
Our favorite? The Hot-N-Spicy Potatoes, which were crispy outside and soft inside, seasoned with a unique mix of Indo-Chinese spices, deep-fried with batter.
For the meat-eaters, we recommend the Mini Prawns Koliwada, which are spiced and fried mini prawns. The cook on these was just right, yet it screamed for an intensity and moistness, which a chutney might provide.
With a menu as extensive as theirs, every dish sounding equally tempting, it can be difficult to make a decision. We suggest you go with staff recommendations. We tried almost everything. Here are two we loved:
- Tandoori Crab: 2 blue crabs marinated and tandoored to perfection. The intensity of spiced had sunk into the flesh, with the smell of the tandoor elevating the entire dish. Impressive, by Dubai standards.
- Green Curry: You can choose what meat you’d like this curry to have and we picked chicken. A resident specialty to House of Curry, it tasted akin to the Iranian Aash; a thick consistency, aromatic hers and slightly sweet. Par this with garlic naan for full effect.
While every dish in the mains had us soaring, the biryani, under-seasoned, was a let-down.
Opt for the traditional Indian desserts or their in-house ice creams.
The Gajar Ka Halwa brought out the natural sweetness of carrots with a hint of saffron. The most balanced version of the classic we’ve tasted so far.
The ice-creams are worth a shout-out, with the Indian favorite kulfi coming out on top of the charts, with chopped pistachios.
Feeling adventurous? Try the chili flavored ice cream. Contrary to our assumptions, it was strange yet delightful.
Ambience and Service:
Lavish chandeliers, a massive tree in the middle of the seating plan, with a soothing turquoise and white color palette, the ambience of this restaurant makes the trip worthwhile. Look out for the witty painting of ‘Maharani Mona Lisa’ on the wall.
Located right next to the beach, it’s poised for date night – or a night out with the family. With carts on the jogging track and plenty of space for late-night walks, the setting is picturesque during the day or at night.
Keep in mind, all the F&B outlets in the area can get quite crowded during weekends. Despite being busy, the staff is attentive and courteous – a big positive in our books.
All in all, House of Curry is worth a visit if you’re looking for the vibe of a downtown café and the flavor complexity of the streets on Mumbai.
If you’re interested, take note:
- Check out their currylicious pictures on Instagram – @houseofcurry
- For more information and reservations, contact House of Curry on: +971 4 5509197
- With cinemas right outside, plan a dinner and movie date here.
- Plenty of parking is available in the basement, but there’s always congestion getting into the JBR area, leave half an hour earlier than planned.
Don’t miss: 5 Enticing Ladies Shisha Deals in Dubai
No review is complete without your opinion. Have you been to House of Curry? Give us your verdict in the comments below.