This week, I decided to give Martha Stewart a run for her money and made my kitchen look like an isolated bloody crime scene [I’m so productive]. After an hour of prep time and two of my mom’s panic attacks, I made about a dozen of these cupcakes without burning anyone/anything [not to pat myself on the back or anything].
If you too want to make these edible red traffic lights, here is a list of the things you need to buy [be as precise as possible with measurements because you don’t want to end up with red liquid lumps]:
1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 cup white sugar [Make sure this is baking sugar if you don’t want to go through a fit of rage]
2 large eggs
3/4 cup buttermilk [You can substitute this by stirring 1/4 cup milk into 3/4 cup plain yogurt]
2 teaspoons white vinegar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon red food coloring [or they won’t be red]
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line 12 muffin cups with paper liners.
- Sift flour, cocoa, baking soda, salt, and baking powder together in a large mixing bowl until combined.
[Make sure you mix the dry and wet ingredients separately]
- Place butter and sugar into the work bowl of a large stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment. Beat butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
[Scrape down the butter from the attachment and the bowl.]
Add eggs into butter-sugar mixture, one at a time, mixing the first egg in thoroughly before adding the second.
[Scrape down sides of bowl as you work. Do not panic when the ingredients start to fly out of the bowl while whisking, it’s supposed to happen]
- Beat buttermilk and vinegar into the above mixture [milk, butter, eggs], followed by vanilla extract and red food colouring. Mix until colour is even.
- Pour dry ingredients into wet ingredients and gently whisk by hand until batter is smooth. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups, filling them about 3/4 of the way.
[Make sure you lick the leftover batter from the bowl because it is delicious]
- Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the centre of a cupcake comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes.
Let it sit in the pan for 10 minutes; remove cupcakes from pan and cool completely on a cooling rack before frosting. Unwrap cupcakes before frosting. [You can use cream cheese, Nutella or even whipped cream for frosting]. Slurp.
If you’re decent [or indecent] in the kitchen, give these a go and make someone’s day.